Monday, September 16, 2013

Are you absolutely positive?

For the last few months I've been trying to wrap my head around the kind of love that God has for us. I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this undertaking and I've barely just scratched the surface of His unconditional love. 


 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 8:37-39


I grew up in a very loving and supportive household. I was told that I was loved every single day but my response was always and still is, "Are you sure?" 


I remember asking my mother that question and a few times and her reply was a little bit edgy, kind of frustrated, "Yes. Yes, Danielle. I love you." Then, because of my insecurity, my head was filled with thoughts like,"Oh no! She's mad at me!" when in reality she was just tired of constantly soothing my irrational fear that I had somehow found a way to remove her love. 

I was never given a reason to be skeptical of her sincerity. I think I was born with uncertainty, with a craving for reassurance. I still maintain that I must have came out of the womb saying,"Hey....Are you guys sure you want me?..." 


So this mindset has carried me through life; always prepared for people to take my provided scapegoat, giving everyone a second chance for them to retract their statement of love. Never truly trusting that I was capable of being loved unconditionally. 


As of late, this distrust has been brought to light in reference to my relationship with Christ. 

I've heard that He loves me, I know that He does, but I need to believe it in order to trust it. 

As all of this was rambling through my head Sunday morning, I started writing and it spiraled off into the following:


'There are no conditions with this love. My love is deep, my love is of the purest motive. My love is for the person you were, the person you are, and the person I am creating you to be. 

My love is extravagant, overflowing with security and unending grace. My love needs no reassurance for I made you who you are with a purpose. 


Don't doubt my work, don't refuse the peace I am offering you with the promise that you are exactly who I want you to be. I have made you aware of the brokenness that surrounds you to fulfill your calling. 


I have allowed your situations and circumstances to further my kingdom. Who better to usher in the lost than those who remember so vividly the times when they themselves refused my covering? 


Beloved, trust in Me. Trust in who I say you are, in what I've called you to be. 


I have seen your engrained perversity, the darkest parts of your being and still I am here waiting. Waiting for you to accept this divine love, to take hold of the promises I have for you.'


I don't know what this is or where it came from but I do know that when I read it back, I felt loved. 


And I didn't even question it. 



  Because Your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise You. - Psalm 63:3 

2 comments:

  1. You are such an awesome kid, I love you so very much...mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful. So is your soul, Much loved. "..for He careth for you" 1 Peter 5:7

    ReplyDelete